Sunday, April 6, 2008

Q 5: When do you feel happy studying English?

Hi, classmates!
In my case, I feel happy when I find a solution to the problem which always haunted me. Yes! Yesterday, I realized one solution for my bad pronunciation problem.

My recent agony was whether I could change my pronunciation more naturally. In a book, American Accent training, the writer encourages us to have confidence saying, " just as classical musician can play the jazz music if training some time, any non-native speakers can change their pronunciation with proper textbook and practice."

I've thought of my pronunciation on each word is not bad, but when speaking or reading a sentence, the rhythm and intonation is really bad. Hearing my recorded voice reading some paragraphs always made me frustrated.

Yesterday, I read and practiced pronunciation using a book, Clear Speech, and I realized why I can't sound like native's rhythm. I have misunderstood accent. I've just tried to make a strong sound at stressed syllable in a word, not to use proper pitch which means the highness or lowness of a musical note in music. Maybe it is related with my tone-deafness in singing. I learned a tip that American children's 'Uh-uh!' sound is useful to practice English tone, and I abrubtly realized how I can improve my pronunciation while practicing to pronounce 2~3 syllable words. It's an miracle for me. I couldn't do anyting from that moment. I went on a picnic near natural park and have a nice time with my kids. Even though I didn't start the outline for second essay homework, I am really happy now.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi, Sammy!
I really feel so good when I read a toching novel. Nowdays I have got too stress in this course because of various homeworks, and I couldn't have any spare times to read a novel. Even so I have attended a member of reading club activity. And that time I'm really feeling so happy.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sammy~!
I was so impressed by your efforts to make your prounuciation right or authentic. Those dreaming of fluency in English usually tend to dedicate themselves to building up vocabulary and making up sentences for proper expressions. And I admit that I'm also not the exeption with that... And I didn't care about pronunciation that much. But I found that many foreign instructors including Walter are putting an emphasis on pronunciation.. And I heard that when we prounce the words, phrases and sentences in an appropriate pronunciation and speed with good accent, intonation and pitch, from the moment we can listen well and speak naturally and fluently...
It's hard...but we know the foundation cannot always be stressed too much.

When I find myself enjoying sitcoms or popsongs without any big trouble in understanding, I really feel so good..However, such chances are not that often... ^^;;;
If we could be a little wiser in learning and enjoying or if we could throw away too high expectation, I think we could feel happy much more. Let's relax ourselves*^^*

Eun-ju, a dandle lion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eun-ju, a dandle lion said...

Hi, Sammy!
Usaully if say I hate America, that means I hate the policy of Amercan government and our government's sneaking attitude toward Amerca. That's because I'm not so highly motivated to improve my English as fluently as native speakers. Owing to it, I reallize the importance of phycological elements for education. The more I get in trouble, the better I can understand students in trouble.
What a wonderful life!!!
I'm thankful for my pains in my life.
Anyway, I feel happy to read intereting novels and write an essay. Through reading novels, we can think about our life and practice spoken English and through writing an essay, I have a good chance to write. Preparing for wirting, I study a lot and I feel satisfied with new self-learned useful expressions.
Last week, I finished reading "Over the river,Piedra I wept." written by Paulo Cohelo, and I started "Veronica decided to die."

Nicole said...

Hi Sammy,
You are suffering the same problem that a lot of people here at KNUE are. I think you have some good ideas for solutions and I suggest reading aloud also.